Monday, November 17, 2008

How do YOU think it went?

So how do YOU think it went? Please leave your comments and stories. We are always looking for ways to improve how we do outreach and ministry and your thoughts would be great!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

DJ, Your first community outreach was excellent. It was well organized and instruction were very clear. Church participation was the best I've seen for any project. The reaction to the video from our congregation was fabulous. I think it really built some excitement for next year. Jim and I are both ready for 2009.

Minor suggestions would be, less sweets, maybe healthier choices,such as fruits.

Water for the workers.

Story from Carol: I approached a lady who was just starting to clean up her own leaves. I shared our community outreach. She thought it was a great, but I could tell she was very reluctant to receive my offer. I tried to to lovingly persuade her. Still reluctant to receive, she suggested a donation. No donations I said, but how about a hug? She smiled, we hugged, and she said all in God's family and she let us clean up her leaves. For me that was a very sweet moment.

whebron said...

Hey DJ, I also thought the outreach was great! The video you shared was awesome too. I wanted to stand up and shout, "LETS DO IT AGAIN!" "WHAHOO!" Being the shy child I am...I didn't do it.

My suggestions are:
If possible have a hospitality team assigned to each work crew.

Have a doorknob hanger to leave at each home when the work is completed. It would b be like a touch card. That way the home owner will have something to remember us by whether they are home or not when we are finished.

Do be sensitive about asking for photos of people at the door.
One women was asked and she said, "No, you're not going to plaster me on your news letter." I softly replied, "Uh...we don't have a newsletter." When she saw the bewildered look on my face and she smiled and chuckled a little. She was good-natured about her "no". But I wondered how many people might see it as us trying to gather promotional footage for ourselves even though we all know that's not what it was about.

That's just a few of my suggestions. I look forward to the next project.

Anonymous said...

My overall feelings on this outreach is, WHY DIDN'T WE DO THIS SOONER? It was very cool, and yes, DJ, you are a rock star!
My suggestions for next year are, . . . . .Do it exactly the same only bigger. OK, I agree with the snack suggestion. A little. I do love a good donut!
The only other thing I can think of is, it was a good thing DJ told us we wern't going to talk or pray with folks on a personal nature. What was that I saw at the very first house we went to? Oh, Oh yeah, It was God working again! Best layed plans, eh DJ? LOL I am looking forward to the rest of that story.
Maybe we should think about a snow clearing outreach? Hummmm.
Rick

Kiteman said...

Sorry, I am a little new at this "Blog" stuff! I will use my Google identy next time!